PrEPX is the second Victorian clinical study of PrEP run by Alfred Health, which superseded the smaller VicPrEP study. PrEPX began mid-2016 and reached capacity within months – the fastest enrolled clinical trial of PrEP anywhere in the world! study has announced another expansion! a further 600 places will be available
In January 2017 VAC donated a further $100,000 to the study to enroll the 600 people on the PrEPX wait list.
In March 2017 the Victorian Government announced it would match the $100, 000 figure to allow a further 600 people to access the trial. The study is in the process of enrolling those participants. If you are in Victoria looking to start PrEP fear not! There is another waitlist underway. We would recommend joining the waitlist ASAP, and importing medication from overseas in the meantime.
Join the waitlist
PrEPX Regional and Rural
As well as the seven metro sites, PrEPX has now expanded to
- Mt Martha
Head to the PrEPX website to enroll in PrEPX in one of the regional or rural sites.
The PrEPX study operates on a ‘real world‘ basis, meaning participants are required to pay for their medication. Medication costs $38.80 for a 3 month supply of medication, or $6.30 for those with concession.
- have a Medicare card
- be over the age of 18 years
- be willing and able to provide written informed consent
- have documentation of an HIV negative test performed at the screening visit
- have a kidney function blood test result that supports taking generic Truvada
- be able to provide a street address and/or telephone number and/or email address so you can be contacted during the period of the demonstration project
PrEPX will run for 20 months and participants will be provided with PrEP which will be available through specified pharmacies and clinics on payment of a co-pay as with other medications purchased through pharmacies.
To join the study, or join the waitlist, or to find out more information check out the PrEPX website.